Thursday, December 18, 2014

Shelfari!!!

So you may notice a new little book shelf up in the upper-left-hand corner of this blog.  In fact if your eyes will take a wander that way now....yep you noticed it!  It's my Shelfari!

This all started because I was having a hard time figuring out how to keep track of the books She-she and I read.  We are avid readers in our house - we read a chapter every night, and several picture books during the week for preschool.

If you haven't ever heard of Shelfari its a cool little website by Amazon.

Some awesome features I've used so far:
~(obviously) The Widget - which connects smoothly to my blog here - easy peasy for you guys to see! Also there are a few different layouts / designs to fit smoothly with my aesthetic.
~ My "Shelf" - which lets me put books I've read, and the date we finished it, what I'm currently reading, and books I plan on reading.  This is especially helpful because I have written MANY lists of books / recommendations people have given me for my daughter and I to read and frankly they get lost far too easily.
~ Personal Reviews - This is great as it lets me and She-she see what we have liked.  Though its rare for me to put books down, if we do (like we did with Werewolves Don't Go to Summer Camp) we can pick it up later!
~Best Of Lists - Again these are personal and customize-able so we can share our favorites.
~Groups of Like-Minded Readers
~Following and Followers (Any site without this feature is outdated in my opinion!)
~Next in Series - Ok this is awesome, it auto tracks which books I have read that are in series and indicates which one is next.  So sweet!

There are however a few features I'm wishing I had, though I can't seem to find them any where.  In a perfect world I could design it myself!

Things I'd add (If you know how or if you know a different app with these features, comment and let me know!)
~A phone app (Do they still have websites without this?!)
~An ISBN Scanner (I can look it up manually by typing it in...but I can type in the title too, so really not easier.)
~A "Batch" Uploader (Would be so hot if we could just scan our library books like we do at check out!)
~Multiple Shelves - I want one for picture books and one for chapter books at least!
~Family Trackers - I want to be able to keep track of what my daughter is are reading, what I'm reading, and what my husband is reading (Since I pick up new books for him I don't want to bring home duplicates).  I'd also love to have age appropriate categories.
~Better Facebook Links - I want to be able to share a specific set of books.  For example my preschool kid's parents should be able to see what we're reading in preschool!  But the only way they can do that is sign up on Shelfari and follow me, and even then they see ALL the books I put in.  Which includes the chapter books each night.  Since I'm only tracking my daughter's books on this account I don't need to worry about the appropriate factor, but surely I'm on the only one that doesn't necessarily feel that everyone needs to know what books I'm reading?  For example: My preschooler's parents may be concerned if I throw on some Adult Murder Mysteries as books my children are reading!

Ah well, its a fun feature I wanted to share - watch for books my 5 year old and I enjoy, and please comment with books you and your kids love!

No comments:

Post a Comment